To use rope-jumping for fitness, you need to be skilled enough to jump continuously for twenty to thirty minutes, and jumping that long and fast requires that you be in good shape. All you need is a ten-foot rope. The ends of the rope should barely reach your armpits when you stand on the middle of it. You don't need special shoes, but sandals or loose shoes are likely to cause tripping. Start out by spinning the rope forward so you can see it as it passes. Bend your knees to absorb the shock of landing and protect the force of your feet striking the ground. To keep yourself from falling, bend slightly forward at the waist. Start out gradually and work up to thirty minutes three times a week.
The fitness benefit from any exercise depends on how fast you move, whether it's jumping, running, cycling or any other activity. Jumping rope has to be a vigorous sport, because you must spin the rope at least 80 times a minute to keep it from tangling. Most people use more energy when they jump rope than when they run. Jumping 80 times a minute uses the same amount of energy as running a mile in less than eight minutes, which is a rapid pace for most people. If you enjoy rope jumping, do it at a speed that is comfortable to you and stop when you feel discomfort. More on how to start an exercise program; the real meaning of fitness
- ► 2014 (160)
- ► 2011 (31)
- ► 2010 (61)
- ► 2009 (54)
- ► 2008 (100)
- Heart Muscles Do Not Get Tired During Exercise
- Chronic Stuffy Nose Often Caused by Fungi
- Eating Before Swimming Won't Cause Stomach Cramps
- Prevent Diabetes: Pistachio Nuts May Help
- High Blood Pressure in Children Increasing
- Health Claims on Food Labels: Not So Reliable
- Salt restriction to lower blood pressure: an ongoi...
- Asthma inhalers: how they improve athletic perform...
- Jumping rope for fitness: pros and cons
- Inability to chew properly can cause weakness, fra...
- Do Not Limit Calories Before Competition
- Low Blood Sugar Symptoms Require an Explanation
- Fluids Early in Competition Improve Performance
- New Study Shows Mediterranean Diet Best for Heart ...
- Thirty Minutes Three Times a Week is Not Enough
- Ammonia odor caused by common stomach bacteria
- Blood Pressure-Lowering Diet as Effective as Drugs...
- Master Athletes Age Better than Non-Exercisers
- Hot-Weather Exercisers Need Salt to Avoid Fatigue
- Muscle Soreness is Necessary for Improvement
- ▼ June (20)
To use rope-jumping for fitness, you need to be skilled enough to jump continuously for twenty to thirty minutes, and jumping that long and ...
Of no other fat-loss activity -- eating less, walking on a treadmill, doing sit-ups -- can it be said that participants eagerly count the mi...
Aging does not cause you to lose muscles. Loss of muscle is caused by lack of exercise. You can preserve both muscle size and strength by co...
For Blog Action Day , here are some tips for better bicycling. You'll feel virtuous every time you ride your bicycle instead of driving...
Athletes tend to push themselves 120 percent while exercising because their main objective is to jump higher, run faster or become stronger....